This week I published on Amazon (kindle) the book I have written on the subject and under the title ‘Marriage Equality – Love and Justice’.
As a first time publisher there are lots of concerns. Getting enough content, gettings it ordered and structured ok, making some logical sense. What if it doesn’t come out quite right. Then of course the dealing with a whole new raft of technology of getting it up there.
The inspiration for the book was it was a topic I had researched a bit as it is in the contemporary milieu and, of course, Ollie and Marianne decided to commit matrimony in The Netherlands before they returned to Australia. I have also been helping a couple of friends with books and I thought, ‘I should have a go myself’.
I decided to use Amazon Kindle for my initial launch, as they support some sense of self publishing and provide tools to help. The book is then accessible to all and sundry via a range of devices including Computers, Laptops, Tablets, and Kindle readers.
Any way here is the short and dirty of the method.
I wrote the book using Google Docs on my google account. That meant I was able to work on the document from which ever device I was on at the time. I even added a few words from my smarter than the average phone and whilst that worked, most of it I wrote from the desktop windows PC, or the Linux laptop. This was the first big document I really wrote on Google Docs and it was more than up for the exercise.
The first thing you need to realise about using any word processor is that you need to use styles. I used Heading 1 for chapters, Heading 2 for major sections and heading 3 for subsections. I used Times 12 point and line spacing of 1.2, indented paragraph 1st lines and added a single space to the carriage return between paragraphs. Each Chapter started following a page break.
The only downside of using Google Docs is that it supports footnotes, but not end-notes. The problem this has is that as Kindle knows nothing of page size till the device is reading it the real option is for end-notes as it will have not idea where to put a footnote. I communicated this to Google and they responded to tell me that it is on the development schedule.
One of the major upsides is that when I was ready to talk to my valiant proofreader, Terry Cox, I was able to share the document with her, and she read and corrected many of the simple matters and commented on many other issues which enabled me to respond, amend, correct, resolve, or argue the case for what was there. All up the reduced the pain of review considerably and did mean that we were still working on a single copy of the document.
To resolve the footnote problem, I saved the document as an open office document, opened in open office, changed the footnotes to end-notes (it did all 60 odd in a single step) and saved it as a doc. It then uploaded first go into kindle without a hitch.
I designed my own cover and the size in pixels is 2500 x 1563 pixels. There are a number of services who will do this for you, however me being me I decided to do my own.
I debated the ISBN number question quite a bit, and concluded that I should. ISBN: 978-0-9924401-0-7. I bought a pack of ten for 84.00 which seemed OK. You can publish on kindle without an ISBN, however any other edition is probably going to require it, so you may as well.